Sunday, January 27, 2008

Stings + Healings

Have you ever felt really small?

Or just that you don't fit in anywhere?

I told a friend last night that I don't really have a "group" and I'm a sort of floater who has friends from different circles. Which is true.

But it's also true that when I have often tried to spend time with people in a couple different tight-knit circles because I'd like to know them more, I get the distinct impression I'm not as interesting or wanted as those who are already in the "circles of trust" (thank you Meet the Parents for popularizing that statement).

I thought feeling left out and unwanted was a thing of the past. Dead and buried with the high school bells ringing every 50 minutes. But the truth is that cliques hurt, no matter your age or station in life.

So I thank God for quality people who are selfless and inclusive even when it's inconvenient:
-Kristen Greenholt who talked to me and prayed with me at the latest IV retreat.
-My roomie, Ashley Sauls, who so graciously invites me to any and everything she does.
-Joseph McCormick for diffusing an awkward party moment and asking deeper questions.
-Bethany Limpach for her relentless pursuance of me and for taking a chance and finding a "kindred spirit."
-Sarah Vanderpool, Kate Jessup, Ashleigh Greene, Katie Smith, Mallorie Price & Asa Mair for wanting to spend time with me and making it happen.
-Betsey Smith for understanding me about as well as a person could.


It is my prayer that I, too, would love so fully and selflessly.

4 comments:

Kyle said...

liz!

I am happy to read your encouragement on my blog and to find your blog. i will read and hope to make constructive and thought-provoking comment. be blessed.

Anonymous said...

elizabeth hundley i love you more than words could say <3 know that i will always want to spend time with you and will bother the crap out of you in cali :)

Asa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Asa said...

I know exactly how you feel, sort of only minorly involved with a lot of different groups. But I'm always happy when I'm able to "make it happen", it's not a chore spending time with my friends! But yeah, I've noticed that I really hate when other people DON'T make an effort, so I figure, I'll remedy that! And like Mallorie said, I'm sure you will get sick of hearing from me when you a whisked off to California!

You're precious! :-D